Re: Backtesting on ticks and futures rollover

On Jul 10, 2005, at 3:01 PM, Mark Brown wrote:

for real time trading i like making perpetual futures data.
Actually, I decided to dispense with continuos contracts altogether and go unadjusted. See http://wagerlabs.com/uptick/2005/07/ backtesting-futures-tick-by-tick.html

I got the insight from a post on EliteTrader. I want to trade based patterns found during the day, every day. This means entering frequently throughout the day and closing out completely at day's end.

This also means that no indicator will use data from the previous day which makes adjusted contracts unecessary. Systems could use statistics/performance calculated for prior days, though.

I will roll over to the next contract when the volume/open interest becomes higher or based on a predefined rollover date and time.

Systems should be tested over lots of tick data but always entering throughout the day and exiting by closing time the same day. A trading day is 390 minutes, 23400 seconds. Even with one tick per second this should give you enough statistical data to test on.

How does this sound?

Thanks, Joel

--
http://wagerlabs.com/uptick