Re: External backup drives for multiple PCs

What about something like this:
I believe Acronis True Image 8.0 </homecomputing/products/trueimage/> from will allow you to mirror to a USB drive, they also have utilities to manage a hard disk. It will also habdle all other storage media, including SATA.

What about something like this:

http://www.usb-ware.com/sata-removable-drive-pro.htm

You are getting past my expertise.

Jimmy

Hi all,

This topic may have been covered in a prior post but probably not withthe specifics I'm after. If anyone can help me I'd be grateful. I'm alsosending this to Jimmy Snowden as sometimes my posts get kicked back bythe list, so I'm hoping he can offer some suggestions while he forwardsthis to the list as a precaution in case the original gets bounced backto me (thanx, Jimmy!)

I recently purchased a new Dell Dimension 8400. Whereas my original PChad dual drawered drives that I either used Casper or Ghost backups on,then removed each evening, I've been unable to get Dell to create thesame arrangement on my new 8400. I was advised to back up to an externalUSB drive. Something about SATA type drives that can't bedrawered.

What I'd wanted was a total backup I could hot-swap if there was a crash,and get right back up running. If I must back up to an external USB-baseddrive, can I still either use Ghost or (more likely since I'd be withinWindows with all its drivers) Casper? Do you think Casper can 'see' thisdrive across USB and do its backup? What about being able to boot fromthis external drive?

Also, because I have a Dell Inspiron1100 laptop that needs to be backedup, I'd like to partition the external drive (Norton Commander? Casper?)so I could back up both my new PC as well as my laptop. Hopefully, whatI'm trying to do will work, and someone can advise me accordingly. Ohyeah, if anyone has any recommendations for 100+ gig USB-type externaldrives, I'm listening.

Thanx in advance everyone!

Michael