OT: unix scripting

A number of applications (I use) generate text logfiles. As messages are
appended to these files I'd like to insert them into a db. Let's say I ran
"ping ip -t >>logfile." Conceptually I'd like to do something like this:
"tail -f | "snmpClient ip:port" so that I could send the messages to a
syslog server. The syslog server would (parse and) insert the messages into
a DB. This is in a Windows environment, but some unix commands are
installed.

Another approach would be to do this: "tail -f logfile |text-TO-evt" >>
~system32/config/logfile where "text-TO-evt" converts and appends messages
to NT Event Logs. There are a few tools that'll send new events to a syslog
server. This could be a better approach as it would also be a way to insert
traps, alerts, etc. into a DB.

Appreciate any ideas or suggestions.
Thanks in advance
Colin West