don't lose money

Hi Gang,

 This has nothing to do with TS, but with trading psychology. Anyone who has
ever gone through a phase of "trading not to lose" will find it especially
fascinating. The following is a brief excerpt from a conversation in a
non-trading group of which I am a member. Deals with mental imagery and how
thoughts and words create reality. The names are changed to protect...

Best,
Chris
Jane:
I remember a winter's night when two women stopped by to visit at about
11:30, both of them drunk. They stayed a while and when they found the
desired libation was not forthcoming decided to go on their way. We saw them
out through a snowy path to their car and as they were about to drive away I
waved to them and called out, "Good night. Don't hit the train."  Then I
thought Whoa! Where did that come from? But I thought no more about it and
went to bed. Next morning the driver called to tell us not to worry, they
were both okay, but that they had hit the train. So what happened? ...

John:
No mystery here. "Don't hit the train" is a suggestion to hit the train;
because the subconscious mind does not understand the "English" word,
"Don't." --More interesting is that in order to make the statement you had a
mental picture. As you explained, your friends were drunk.  In a state of
altered consciousness, amenable to suggestion,  the receptive people were
especially vulnerable to your suggestions. Neither Case nor Davies publish
any text that uses the words arranged in such a way as to "Don't do a such
and such," as it causes the opposite result.  For example, my favorite
phrase, "don't think of pineapples in the snow," requires thinking of
pineapples in the snow, causing imagery on the part of both director and
directed.  Imagery combined with emotion (their fear of hitting a train)--
well, you know the rest-- together you have a train accident.

Jane again:
Great explanation! When I said that to them I didn't know which way they
were going to go after they had left the driveway. In one direction there
would have been no train at all, but they didn't go that way. The way they
did go there was an occasional train but lights flashed and a bar came down
in front of traffic. And all this did happen, and the driver stopped just as
she should have. The passenger, however, reached over and fumbling for the
cigarette lighter somehow hit the gear shift, put the car in gear and it
shot forward through the barrier and hit the train as it was passing slowly
through the village.