OT: Web delays

OK, I'm going to commit the sin of asking a totally off-topic
question here, because there are a lot of sharp folks on the
list.  I just have no idea where to ask about this.

For the past week or so, I have suddenly had problems with a LOT
of different websites.  The site starts to load, then hangs up at
some point and NEVER finishes.  In almost every case, it hangs up
when it's trying to contact some advertising-related site:
media.fastclick.net, googlesyndication.com, burstnet.com,
doubleclick.net, and others.

I have a special HOSTS file (see
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt) that blocks known ad sites
by redirecting their IP to localhost.  This has worked quite
nicely for several years.  Then suddenly, last week it started
causing problems on a bunch of sites.  I'm guessing all these
different ad sites share technology that just started defeating
the HOSTS trick.

If I remove the offending ad site from HOSTS, it generally solves
the problem for that site.  I could ditch the HOSTS file entirely
but I hate to open the floodgates.  I'd rather understand what's
going on and figure out the right response.

Any ideas?
Gary