From: Bob Fulks [mailto:bfulks@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2004 9:03 PM
To: Tony
Cc: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Sharpe Ratio for Excel

At 09:30 AM 5/16/2004, Tony wrote:

>http://www.laportesoft.com/laportedownload.html

The spreadsheet calculation you referenced is not correct.

They calculated the geometric returns correctly but then simply
calculated the standard deviation of the monthly returns without taking
into account the compounding.

The correct procedure would use logarithmic returns or also correct the
standard deviation for compounding.

The correct Sharpe ratio for their example is about 1.10 using
logarithmic returns or 1.16 using geometric returns, not the 1.21 they
calculate.

Errors in calculating Sharpe Ratio are very common.

Bob Fulks

---
---