Re: How to keep a value in a variable over consecutive bars?

  • To: "carrslem" <carrslem@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: How to keep a value in a variable over consecutive bars?
  • From: "Gary Fritz" <fritz@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 10:53:16 -0700

> "update on every tick" feature to be only an approximation of the
> end-of-bar value and, therefore, do NOT retain such values beyond the
> close of the bar. A further reason given was that retaining the
> intra-bar value would cause results on "historical" data to differ
> from real-time results (because calculations on historical data use
> only the OHLC bar data, not tick data).

Both are true, although I don't think that's what Abhijit was
asking.

Changes to EL variables don't "stick" until the end of the bar.
Otherwise you could have a chart that displayed one set of values
if built in realtime, and a totally different set of values if
you closed and re-opened the chart, or toggled the status on the
indicator.

> Because I was not assigning the bar's closing value to the variable,
> it was getting "restored" to something else - I believe it was the
> closing vakue of the PREVIOUS bar, or something equally bizarre!

No, it should be the final value you assign in THAT bar.

Gary