Re: The End of an Era

On Tue, 4 May 2004 23:07:45 -0400, you wrote:

>I am updating from TS 4 to the latest TS. I am using a relatively new
>machine, that I installed Win 98 on as I figured that would cause the least
>issues with TS 4.
>
>Should I upgrade the OS to use with the latest TS version? What will I gain
>or lose? There will be nothing else on the machine but TS.
>
>Thanks for the help.

I have been a long time win2000 user and can say it's far more stable than
win98/SE/ME
Faster too.
But most Windows versions where stable.
Well... :-) if you only run a few apps on it and didn't to much de/installs etc.
Win2000 and WinXP improved a lot on that part.

Since a few months I'm using XP pro.
Comparing XP and Win2000 is a lot harder.
XP has it's nice things like better support for new breeds of 'add-on hardware'
Stability wise XP certainly is not better then Win2000.
Considering all things I would advice Win2000. (cheaper)

Just to make things a bit harder... :-)
I ran Win98 on a Intel machine. I upgraded to WinME and stability got worse.
Then I upgraded to an AMD machine with WinME and stability outperformed all
previous combinations.
AMD with Win2000 gave even better stability.
Upgrading to Intel+Win2000 gave no stability increase.
Just as a side note; I never use el-cheapo components.

As a stability improvement I would like to suggest:
a] www.nod32.com -> small/fast AV tool with top notch detection with low
resource usage
b] http://www.safer-networking.org/ -> removes addware and spies
c] http://www.iolo.com/sm/index.cfm -> removes unneeded junk from registry
making things faster and improving performance

Some will say a] and b] are unneeded if you purely use the machine for TS.
Say a virus gets past your main AV tool because it was so new that there was not
yet a detection for it.
Then it somehow infects your trading PC. And it lives happily ever after....
The point is that virusses are made to infiltrate and spread. Thats their goal
in life. Make sure you don't get bitten by it. For example if your machine
breaks down in a crucial part of a trade.
I've sheduled all kind of tasks to run during nighttime.
It keeps my PC as clean as possible and because it runs at night it's doesnt
hinder me during normal PC usage.

Tony, Life is a do-it-yourself project.