Re: Real-time datafeeds in Python

Michael:

>probably the easiest way to interface with IB (don't know about
>MyTrack) would be via IB's C++ API directly from Python using
>wrapper classes as indicated.
>
>This is much preferable to using Jython.

I agree.  However keep in mind that the C++ API from IB only works
under windows.  For other operating systems, IB only offers a Java
API.

The Jython FAQ also says that native Python (also called CPython) is
twice as fast as Jython.  It's also slower to start up.

>thing about Jython is that you can use all of the *Java* libs from Python,
>not vice versa.

"Not vice versa" is important.  For the differences between Jython and
Python, see http://jython.sourceforge.net/docs/differences.html

>Another way to link to Java from Python would be via Java's JNI plus Python
>wrappers, but as IB offers a C++ API, why bother?

True.  It may also be possible to port the C++ API to some other OS.

-A