Re: 2000i and 64-bit Computers?

   From: "Hinton Clabaugh" <clabaugh@xxxxxxxxx>
   Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:54:48 -0500

   With the arrival of AMD Athlon 64 processors and with 64-bit Windows in
   the pipeline, I am wondering about the future of TS 2000i, a 32-bit
   program.

Well, as the long time owner of a 64 bit computer (Sparc Ultra), I'd
say this stuff about "64 bits" is total market hype.  64 bit computing
has been available for over 5 years and it has never made an
impression (and Sun Microsystems surely tried).  The consensus shortly
after the first 64 bit OSs were put together was that the additional
potential performance from converting 32 bit software to 64 bit
software wasn't worth the effort...and that consensus has not changed
over the years.  The initial hardware testing of 64 bit systems is
matching that result last time I looked.

The real bargains are in the processors being pushed aside (and with
lowered prices) by the current hype.  I just finished a slick upgrade
to dual xeons for < $1K.