Re: Can not get rid of 3 trojan horse viruses in Win2000

   Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:19:34 -0400
   From: John Bowles <johnbowles@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

   Using AVG free edition 6.0 I have detected 3 viruses in Win2000 Professional
   in C:\WINNT that are attached to win32.exe, svchost.exe and wmsro32.dll

   AVG can't get rid of them (can't move them to the vault). I tried doing a
   reinstall of Win2000 but this did not work. I am a little concerned because

AVG probably cannot move them because they are in use.  With XP, I can
boot the installation CD and enter a system recovery mode (not safe
mode -- which would also be using key system files).  If I had your
problem, I'd try that CD system recovery mode and copy fresh files out
of the cabs onto the harddisk to replace the 3 infected files.  You
need to boot a "new" OS that can read your NTFS filesystem in order to
replace the files.

A reinstall probably requires deleting the infected folder first, or
something along those lines.  It sounds rather unusual that you cannot
reinstall, seems like there are more problems than these three.

Chances are that the most time efficient method is a format and total
reinstallation.

Good Luck