From: drwar [mailto:drwar@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 2:08 PM
To: camacazi@xxxxxxxxxxx; drwar; Gary Fritz; omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: From Spread's to indexes

Cameron
You need to normalize the data for each variable first. Then you can combine
them in the proportions you deem appropriate. That can ultimately result in
a simple weigthing factor multiplied times each data item which takes into
account both the normalization and the proportion. The problem you run into
without normalization is the following.

It item ones average value is 2 and item twos average value is 500 a 1
percent change in item 2 will swamp any changes in item 1. Thats why if we
normalize the data to place them all on the same scale and then determine an
appropriate proportion to combine them you will find it a little easier to
work with. Once you know the scaling factor to normalize and the proportion
you want you can combine it into one operation which is just a weight and
the equation will take the form of

Myindex = Ax + By + Cz

where A,B,C = final weighting factors and x,y,z are the data items.

Jerry