Re: DTNIQ feed using dynastore into TS2000i ??

John,

Glad you asked, I have a few opinions about DTNIQfeed and Dynastore.  First,
IQFeed is unfiltered.  I don't know why I seem to get more bad ticks than
others, but I spend a LOT of time correcting them.  Dynastore has a tick
filter but it doesn't work very well for me. One really annoying feature is
when you get a bad tick on a daily bar, correct it, and then it comes right
back...the bad tick that is.  I've learned it's a waste of time to try to
correct a daily bar bad tick during market hours.  Therefore you lose the
use of that daily chart unless you want to reset the scale manually and
ignore the current bar.

The data feed itself is as fast as any I've compared it with (Interactive
Brokers, Q.com Live Charts).

Historical data download thingy...first, it's limited to 5 days of tick
data, no matter what the ads say.  DTN says they have 8 days of tick data
but they are counting the weekend, and somehow 8 less 2 weekend days equals
5 days, the most I've ever received.  The Dynastore history downloader will
only access the tick data and daily data.  DTN supplies 120 days of minute
data but for that you need the Dynastore Dynaloader for IQFeed.  But
unfortunately that's still a work in progress.

I also have a mysterious data shutoff problem, 2-10 times a day somedays,
that no one can figure out.  I can't say it's the fault of the data feed or
Dynastore.  I've reinstalled TS2000i several times and tried many fixes
without success.  But I can say that since I've been trying OnDemand
Server(from RT Soft) I haven't seen the problem.

OnDemand Server accesses the DTN IQFeed data and works ok with these
qualifications: It is sometimes slow to bring up a chart and I couldn't use
it with my dialup connection because it took 1/2 hour just to bring up 10
workspaces.  Even now with a 2000 kbps broadband it will sometimes take an
annoyingly long time to open a chart...that may be a broadband problem I
don't know about yet.  Normal is 15-20 seconds per chart on my PIII 1000mHz
computer.  This points to the real problem with OnDemand Server, it doesn't
save to the hard drive which is one reason it takes so long to open each
chart.  That makes you dependent on your internet connection if you want to
use TS2000i. No more offline looking at charts.  No stock
screening/scanning.  No quick skimming through stock charts in your symbol
list.  Also, you can't edit and fix the bad ticks so you are stuck with them
until DTN starts filtering their data feed.

Back to the Dynastore history downloader thingy...I'm trying to use it after
hours to keep my hard drive data base up to date but I have another problem
with it that no one can solve.  It downloads once then gets stuck for hours
on the second download.  That's made it useless during market hours which is
why I am trying OnDemand Server.  It also has no way to sort your symbols so
if you are trying to find a particular symbol to download, or trying to
remove duplicates...you will spend a lot of unnecessary time scrolling back
and forth through your symbol list looking for the symbol(I only have 150
symbols and it's a royal pain, imagine if you have 500 symbols!).  You need
to remove duplicates because for no apparent reason a few symbols on the
symbol list will go blank (lose part of their text) and sometimes also stop
collecting.  When you notice this you add the symbol(s) again to get it to
start collecting.  After a while you have lots of duplicates.

The history downloader has one nice feature, it lets you download all the
symbols (for intraday data) at once.  Either one symbol or all, you can't
pick 5 or 10 and do the same.  The all at once feature won't work with daily
data if you have any futures or index symbols in your symbol list.  BTW, the
downloader doesn't automatically download into the Global Server.  It puts
the data into a folder and then you manually import it into the Global
Server.

You have to appreciate the fact that Dynastore (and it's rival Metaserver)
allow us to use TS2000i/TS4 with other datafeeds.  DTN is reasonably priced
compared to some.  I've had a lot of problems with the Dynastore/IQFeed
combination but some people don't have any.  It's worth trying it out and I
hope I've given you a few things to watch out for.

John