Re: QuantStudio

RB,

I think the auto analogy is a poor one, unless you're willing to admit that
instead a car, you're riding a bicycle.

There is a market for traders and firms that demand much more than offered
by TradeStation (the GM equivalent). Where is the interchangeable,
integrated portfolio management? Where is the interchangeable, integrated
position sizing? Where is the interchangeable, integrated, cross-portfolio
risk management? Can I do deep, multi-market quantitative analysis? Can I
intermix multiple, dissimilar data sources and vendors? Does it route my
trades into an accounting system? Does it do trade aggregation and
separation for unitized accounting? Can I automatically route orders to the
broker of my choice? And on, and on, and on ...

While there are a number of after-market bolt-ons for TradeStation, the
level of integration is often clumsy. The whole PushPop or global-access
DLL route is an example of trying to work around platform limitations. At a
certain point, it makes sense to examine alternatives.

Excellent traders wield an edge. There is a whole market catering to
traders who seek and create an edge using advanced tools. There are also
trading firms that demand more out of a trading engine. For all these
traders, most of the popular trading packages just don't cut it.

Actually, I'm very encouraged by the recent direction in trading platforms.
WealthLab starts to incorporate many of the items I mentioned above, and
VeriTrader 2.0 looks to be a very exciting product as well.

Still, there's nothing like having a custom tool set that can actually do
what I need :-)

Cheers,

Kevin

ps. This is NOT an endorsement for QuantStudio, only a consideration for
QS-like tools.