Re: Issue in cloning hard drive (Dell4600, Window XP, Norton Ghost 2003)

  • To: "omega-list" <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Issue in cloning hard drive (Dell4600, Window XP, Norton Ghost 2003)
  • From: "Henri Amand" <h.amand@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 09:27:33 -0800

hcarvas wrote:
> For those who want to do the same thing, be aware of the
> potential issue.  A friend of mine try do clone the hard
> drive after setting the computer the way he wants.  When he
> try to clone the hard drive to another, the system would
> restart to Windows XP, and Norton Ghost displays message
> "The selected task completed with errors."

Like Jimmy allready mentioned "that's Ghost". Probably
every program will have some problem with some configuration
sometime. If that happens to you, that's just bad luck. Be glad
it mentions that it "completed with errors" and you can try it
again or, if Ghost just does not want to work with your system,
use another aplication. There are many that can do the trick
for you. Personaly i have used Ghost and Drive Image both
without ever having a problem with any of them.

> On the other hand, if you have seen this issue before and
> have resolved it, could you share your solution with the
> list?

Did you use a current version of Ghost ? It's common knowledge
that when XP came out most of the cloning tools could not handle
XP. You MUST have a recent version.

If this is not your problem, doesn't Ghost give an error number
or more specified error message ? I can not imagine you writing
down the correct error message because, when doing a search
for it on the internet, i could not find anything with the phrase
"completed with errors".

Maybe an exact error message might help you further. A lot
of knowledge and solutions are out there waiting to be found :-)

greetings