Re: investing-trading

RB,

Depends on your friends risk tolerance and time frame but I like
stocks and always have.  I was a stockbroker for nine years and mostly
did stocks.  I have never owned a stock fund in my life and never
will.  I would buy a handful of stocks that were carefully chosen and
hold them until something changed.  I started in early 1982, good
timing huh, and liked companies like Wal Mart, Dell when it came
along, several of the drug companies... If you guy can pick the boys
that are going to perform like that then go for it.  Owning stocks is
really cheap now.  Much more than back then.  If he can't pick good
companies then grab a fund with a long track record for growth with no
bad years.  Long like 10 years.  Look at 1, 3, 5 and 10 year
performance.  Keep in mind stocks very long term grow 10.5% so we are
still very high on the growth curve the last twenty years where we
were very low the previous 13 years to that.  No matter the market
there are always a few good companies that their stock price moves up
really well.  Lowest cost is not so much commissions but funds have
fees even if they are commission free.  Plus they are taxable.  You
own a stock for 5 years you don't pay a dime in tax until you sell it.

Well that is my 2 cents.

Best regards,
  Jimmy Snowden
mailto:jhsnowden@xxxxxxx

Saturday, February 21, 2004, 6:35:57 PM, you wrote:

R>  I have a friend who wants to know what is the best, lowest cost ways to
R> invest-trade the stock market.   This would NOT be any daytrading, really
R> not much trading at all, but he will keep an eye on things and may want to
R> move in and out at times in the future, but deffinately not a lot of
R> trading.
R> He asked about Mutual funds, Index funds, Exchange Traded funds.  He wanted
R> to know which had the lowest cost, fees, commissions etc.
R> Also any other suggestions on this?
R> Any comparisons on the abouve as far as cost, brokers, fees, commissions,
R> etc.
R>  What do you use and like?
R>  What would you recommend?
R>  Which brokers?

R>  Any info about any of the above would be very helpful.

R>  Thanks,

Outgoing mail scanned by Norton