Re: Macro Express

> Subject: Re: Macro Express
> Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 20:25:34 -0600
> From: Jimmy Snowden <jhsnowden@xxxxxxx>
> To: "Omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx" <Omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>,
>      "Romi Ghose" <r.ghose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Romi,
>
> Don't know what you are planning to do during market hours but I never
> had any problem running Macro Express.  What I did was use it to shut
> down TS2ki and GS then backup and then reopen both.

> Best regards,
>   Jimmy Snowden
> mailto:jhsnowden@xxxxxxx
>
> Friday, February 20, 2004, 7:14:24 PM, you wrote:
>
> RG> Are there any issues one need to be aware of for running Macro Express with
> RG> PS2ki and eSignal during market hours?

Macros are tricky.  They  are like hitchhikers in a pickup - if the driver (Windows) makes a sudden turn, the HH gets dumped.  The driver (Windows) is not paying any attention to what the macro is doing.

Macros send data to the active window. If anything happens to change the active window while the macro is executing, the data is lost, and may cause unintended consequences, since it is sent into an unintended program.  Best case is ME gives an error message.  You should not do ANYTHING to the screen while a macro is executing.

What would cause the active window to change ?  Well, an alert that pops up the Message Center.

I have used MacroExpress and others in an off-line mode, just as Jimmy describes above..  I think it will be very difficult to get them to work in an active environment.  To get the macros to work reliably, I found I had to insert delays before each operation, usually 0.3 seconds or so to be sure the receiving program could receive the data.

donc