Re: buying new computer

marc miller wrote:
> I am thinking about having a new computer built.   I am wondering
> about AMD/or INTC chips?,

Both fine.

> I am SOoooooo ignorant of computer hardware lingo and parts, I'm a
> Preschooler. If you have any suggestions as well, about motherboard,
> perhaps a suggestion for
> RAM, and it's specs, hard drive, etc.  The whole ball of wax.

Buy a brand. Preferable Dell. Biggest advantage, fine parts, more than
good enough, and if you buy the right one (dimension 4600 would be
my choise) you get a very nice affordable QUIET ! computer with no
fancy stuf but more than good enough for TS etc. The simplest one is
good enough would be my idea. (simple being 2.4ghz processor at the
moment) My idea would be that 512MB memory would also be enough.
(this idea comes from that i don't think you use them for doing a lot of
testing but primaraly for running your charts and trading of of those
charts)
Ofcourse, if you want power, go for the 3.06Ghz and 2gig of ram. My guess
is it will be overkill, specialy since you can not run many charts on your
pc anyway due to the fact of the 771 version of TS.

>  My
> AMD550Mhz is facing forced retirement. it's just not keeping up with
> the inflow.  (it probably never has).  XP? or win2000pro?

XP preferable professional (Probably home would be good enough also
but professional is my personal choice because of some features it has
wich i like) W2K is also very nice but my guess will be that support for
XP will be better the comming years than for W2K (again, just a thought
no facts)

> One more item.  I am forced to run version 0771- Ts2ki build 4, due to
> indicators that will only run on that version.

Not possible to rebuild the indicators ? Why would they only run on 771 ?
(probably something everybody knows but not me :-)

> therefore, I cannot have more than a few charts open at any one time.
> (crashes) Ya, I know it sucks.
> I am thinking of running multiple instances of the program, of course
> on separate computers.  Next question
> how can send my esignal feed to more than one computer?

I am not sure how to do that. I would contact the guy's at
www.traderssoft.com if for instance their Mixserver can do that trick.

> Thanks to all hardware knowlegdable folks out there.

My pleasure,

greetings