RE: Help choosing an online broker

Stopped using RealTick in April 2001.

RT was very buggy, especially on Monday mornings and first day after a
holiday weekend.  Causes were: poor change management (old bugs reappeared);
poor testing practices - only test the patches individually, not the entire
package; etc.

Compounded by inadequate server capacity - kicked off the price quote
servers often.  Poor load balancing software - use their own instead of what
is native to the server OS - and their own is buggy.  Same deal for the
server side - poor change management, poor testing.

Inadequate bandwidth - frequent data feed slow downs and failures during
peak periods.  Maybe compounded by the bad custom load balancing software.

Extremely arrogant support at Terra Nova.

ARCA suffers from similar problems. Fails more often than Island, Inca.
Very slow during peak periods, fails about once a month.

Terra Nova, ARCA and Townsend Analytics are inter-related.  Similar senior
and IT management inadequacies.

N-o-o-o-o-o thanks, never again, for me.

FYI I have evaluated about 100 trading software packages, in depth and
detail, over the past 30 months or so.  If you want a summary of the
results, go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CIMTR/ and download the file -
RT just ain't that good these days, compared with often better, less
expensive alternatives.

If you are having more problems with TS 7.1 or 7.2 than you did with RT,
then its extremely likely that there is some problem other than TS7 causing
such - inadequate PC memory; inadequate processor; some hardware conflict;
some other firmware or driver conflict; use of Norton NAV; firewall issue;
exceeding max number of symbols in RadarScreen tables; etc. TS 7 has bugs,
but not even 1/100 as bad as what I experienced with the badly tested, badly
managed release of RT.

If you are using TS 2000i or TS4, I have no comment because I never used or
tried either one...had SuperCharts, hated it so much that I skipped all
Omega products until TS6/TradeStation Securities.

Vince Heiker
Flower Mound, Texas