Re: Re[2]: What Constitutes Acceptable System Performance?

I agree with Alex's assessment of Sharpe ratio.  The entire point of active
trading is to create an asymmetrical (i.e., positively skewed) distribution
of returns, so using volatility around both sides of the mean as a risk
measure will perversely penalize strategies that generate positive skew.

Furthermore, when we look at the financial markets we realize that we are
not dealing with a Gaussian distribution---we are dealing with something
else, most probably a stable Paretian distribution.  In a stable Paretian,
variance is undefinable.

High Sharpe ratios can be created---temporarily---merely by naively selling
fairly-priced options.  During times of relative market dormancy, the
strategy will appear virtually "riskless;"  then one day the music stops and
the options-seller (more specifically, his clients) are left without a
chair.

Just my $.02.

Sebastian Pritchard