Re[4]: TS Slowdowns

Mark,

I understand your reasoning completely.  There are a couple of things
that lead me to believe the way I do.  The easiest one is I added
memory and it made a huge difference.  The second is based on working
with the manager of Omega's technical support for a very long time.  I
got the best answers needless to say.  First clue was to use
pagefiles to help TS2ki work better.  Well if a program is using the
hard drive as temporary memory then why is it?  This is a substitute
for RAM.  Swap file as we used to call it.  RAM is so much faster that
actually we would be better off if RAM was large enough to handle the
job.  At one point I set my Pagefiles to something like 2,500 MB.  I
was using DTN Sat. back then.  Then I overloaded TS2ki so that in the
Global Server you could see the pagefiles growing.  You can do this
several ways but simply adding tons of tick charts with indicators
will do it or optimize a system during a busy market. The data is put on
the drive when the RAM can't handle it all.  The CPUs are still
cranking it out but at or near their limit.  Data has to go somewhere.
Add to this that you have more than one thing going on in TS2ki at all
times.   There are several programs actually running like ts32.exe,
Ortc.exe, server and ORQuote.exe.  Data is being passes to the hard
drive and to charting and quotemonitor.  Busy busy busy.  Writing to
the hard drive gets behind so what happens.  Quotemonitor and charting
will run behind and then zoom to catch up.  Now TS2ki will manage what
gets behind then it stops and allows say Quotemonitor and charting to
catch up.  Where we really get in trouble is when it doesn't manage
well and falls behind hopelessly.  Then we get the crashes.  Omega
has worked on this. Remember SP4c.   I tested the new GS back then.
So we got a new Global server.  It changed the priority for the way
something was scheduled to be processed.

Ok simple answer.  At 256 MB ram I could no longer optimize a system
now with 512 I can.  So why don't I get more RAM?  Well mine is that
high dollar Registered... stuff so at over $200 per stick for 256mb
I'm not buying more than I need to get by.  I could build a new
computer for the cost of the RAM and new RAM is cheap.

What do you think Mark??????

Best regards,
  Jimmy Snowden
mailto:jhsnowden@xxxxxxx