RE: TS Slowdowns

Have you guys ever thought of maybe shutting off
your virus checkers, or at least restricting their
scanning requirements when GS is writing data to
the HD to see if it helps.. just a thought.

Tradestation processes
> the data is why the CPU goes to the top and the
computer runs
> way behind.  Be it TS7 or Ts2ki the data is
written to file
> and at the same time it is fed to charting.  The
data coming
> in via internet isn't that large or fast.  A 56K
connection
> can bring in enough data to swamp Tradestation.
The Global
> Server is busily processing the data to disk and
that take a
> good deal of memory plus bus speed and fast
write to disk
> which consume more computer resources.  Then
charting gobbles
> up lots of memory and CPU.  Add in the
quotemonitor and order
> tracking and you pile it on the poor computer.
>
> What you can do is kill off order tracking.  You
could kill off the
> quotemonitor but I doubt anyone will do that.
Get the fastest drives
> you can.  I bought serial ATA drives but I guess
a really
> fast SCSI drive is even faster.  I run two
processors.  They
> are only 850 PII but that works for me.  My
front side bus is
> only 100 but the new computers are much faster
and that will
> help.  Be sure your processors have two REAL
caches.  Some
> cheaper processor do not.  Tweak your operating
system.
> Windows 2000 and XP are much more stable but you
need more
> memory to run them.  In any case as much memory
as you can
> put in the computer will help.  I only have 512
but a gig or
> so would be better.  Tweak XP.  Google will find
lots of
> sites to tell you what to do.  Turn themes off.
Set
> performance for programs.
>
> What happens to us is the data backs up then
surges in.
> Tradestation trys to finish processing data in
the GS so it
> lets charting get behind.  Then is sees it is
behind and
> gives priority to catching up. It is loading up
pagefiles or
> in other words it pushes work to temp. files.
Well you do
> enough of that and it never catches up.  You see
this problem
> mostly in the internet feeds.  Esignal and
Tradestation 7.
> They process data differently than the other
servers such as
> DTN satellite.  The server that DTN comes
through lets the
> data get behind in the GS rather than charting.
>
> Now all this is my experience, observation and
guesswork but
> check it out yourself.  Kill off some tick
charts and
> workspaces.  Tune up the machine and add a super
fast drive
> and lots of memory.  Tweak the machine.  If I
can keep up
> with a dual 850 with 512 meg RAM running esignal
and at least
> five other programs along with Tradestation then
you guys
> should be able to do it with your multi GIG
processor and

wrote:

> CG>         Has anyone noticed problems in fast
markets with
> CG> Tradestation freezing up.  Mine maxes out
the CPU and
> freezes until
> CG> it catches up by painting multiple bars all
at one time.  I have
> CG> talked to traders who have the same problem.
Unfortunately, TS
> CG> Support blames it on the computer not being
fast enough
> to calculate
> CG> all the indicators tick by tick.  So I have
turned off all
> CG> unnecessary intra-bar updating and it still
has the problem. One
> CG> trader says he has the fastest PC Dell made
and his does the same
> CG> thing.
>
> CG>         This only happens during a run in
the market (the
> exact time
> CG> you NEED the charts) creating fast mkt
conditions.  Some say it
> CG> could be the internet connection, but its as
fast as I can get,
> CG> around 512k throughput, which is faster than
alot of traders I
> CG> talked to.  I only mention it so I don't get
alot of
> generic replies
> CG> for things to rule out I have already tried.
What are the TS
> CG> limitations?  If there are some, why are
they not published, like
> CG> you can only have 1 workspace with 1 chart
open with 2 indicators
> CG> for it to work without a Cray Supercomputer.
TS states it is not