Re: Resolution and backtesting

Max Pierson wrote:

> What is the "1 minute resolution" setting for in
> a strategy format?? I can't get anything to do
> anything but enter on the close of the current
> bar, which could be, for example 15 minute bars
> on a chart built from 1 minute data in the Global
> Server. Does it depend on the order type?

Tradestation will alway's deside what it will
do on the end of a bar and not within the bar.

Imagine that you would trade an MA crossover
system. During the 15 minutes of building the bar
it might very well be that the first minute the MA is
crossed and the second minute it is below again.
This can go on for 15 minutes and at the last close
it might be below the MA again. That would mean
that your signal was not triggered and you should not
be in the market. Atleast, when backtesting, you
would not be in the market because you test on
15 minute data but on your minute data you would
have entered the market.

So trading within a bar is not what TS will do. (however
i hear more and more people talk about it that they
want it...)

Ofcourse with TS you might anticipate if you want to be
in the market before the close of the bar. If you put
your indicators into your graph you will see what the
indicator value most likely will be at the close of the bar
and you might place your order allready based on those
early indicator value's. TS however will wait till the end
of the bar and as you can imagine, your entries and TS
entries will differ a lot when you anticipate the trades.

If that is a good thing or bad, you deside.

greetings