Re: Seeking robust UPS Solutions

(I would NOT post a reply like this during the 'trading
week'...  8)>>)

Interesting news item.  Anyone knows where can one get one of these
from and for how much $$$?  To me this looks clearly more appealing
than a generator (no noise, clean emissions).

http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20030820.gtfuel0820/BNStory/Technology/

	Well.
	For Grins (being Saturday: no trading....)
	I typed
		www.greenvolt.com
	into a browser.  Their site came up.  Presumably
	they would love to advise on purchase.

	Limiting myself to their advertisment (press release)

ORILLIA, Ont., Aug. 20 -- Greenvolt Corp.  has released its first

product,

	OK: Bet My trading on THEIR _first_ product?
	(This is not an attack on the company or product,
	simply that First Products are....)

the SAM-CellT PM-132, a small, personal fuel cell that generates

12 volts DC and 120 volts AC at 100 watts

	Enough to run ONE small or laptop computer.
	(My 'main machine' is over 100W and that's
	for an 'older/slower' machine'  (yes: I own and
	usde a WATTMETER.)

for more than 35 hours before requiring a recharge.

	And how does it get recharged?  Bolt on a fresh
	tank of Hydrogen?
	Plug in and it generates some from a water tank?

Using a configuration of salt water, air and magnesium (SAM),

the SAM-Cell generates clean electricity with no noise, no

pollution and is non-toxic.

	Interesting theory, common amongst hydrogen proponents.
	Turns Out Water Vapor is a greenhouse gas.  (really...)
	Its cleanliness is psychological.  ALSO, any hydrogen
	cycle is a net energy loss: need to put 200W or so in
	to get that 100W out...
	I'm not a chemist (I am an electrical engineer)
	Apparently they are reacting the water with the
	Mg to create H for the fuel cell.  Leaves an
	interesting soup of metal salts for disposal.

It weighs in at 2.2 kilograms dry and 5.5 Kg after the saltwater

is poured in, and can be stored dry and will remain ready to go

when it is needed.

The product is advertised as ideal for weekend camping or as an

emergency power source, when it can run lights and TV or radios

long enough to traverse most blackout periods.

	'most' is not a numerical value.  'most' blackouts
	are a Lot Briefer than what hit NE US and Canada
	last week.  Be interesting to know how long
	that 100W is available.  (WHr spec)

It is priced at $350 (U.S.)

 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

	I would compare that pricing (and its size, and the
	'fuelling' details, and the tech details (how long,
	how big, how often the Mg needs replacement (?).)
	with conventional (battery) UPS or UPS plus Gen-set.

	I'm not saying its a bad thing: simply running thru
	some aspects of the 'power problem'.

--
	best
	 dwp

...the net of a million lies...
	Vernor Vinge
	-me
...for he has read everything, and written nothing...
	A J Raffles