OT: Stupid Trader Mistakes and other Hacker Stories

As much as I want to laugh and distribute Darwin Awards to all
those who installed this free piece of Software from Italy
onto their unprotected computers containing their trading ideas, I've
done my share to foolish things too.

For example, before I wised up about using proxies and SSL tunneling,
I've learned my lesson from exposing my IP to IRC trading chat rooms,
while simultaneously logged onto the online trading software.  It
never occurred to me that IT people working for legitimate brokerage
firms, data feed providers, online software developers, and even
people from my own ISP with an itch for trading, may also be logged on
to the same IRC chat room as well.

As soon as I got well into a political rant in the chat room, my firewall
lit up like a Christmas tree with several attempts to connect to the very ports my trading
software uses.  In my case, the IRC and the trading software were on
two separate computers under a VPN. But that didn't seem to help.  The IP
addresses of the intruder were similar, but as I later found out, none
were associated with the software firm. Coincidental random port
scans?  I think not.  The trading world is very a small world indeed.