Re: RAID and SATA

Jimmy,

with RAID you are not way behind the curve, it recently became cheaper and
available not only for SCSI (can be very fast and is mainly used for
servers).
But RAID gives you more possibilites. You can connect more hd-drives (HDD) to
the card to gain either more security or higher speed.
Have a look here (or at the sites of RAID-Card-vendors), where everything is
explained:
	http://www.uni-mainz.de/~neuffer/scsi/index.html
(Even if this link is meant for SCSI and Linux,  the how, the what and the
benefits of a (serial) ATA or normal IDE Windows-system are the same).

In short:
1.) more secure (RAID 1)
connect 2 HDD to the card and every HDD has the same content, so if 1 HDD
breaks, just replace it and the content of the left HDD is morrored aagain to
the new one. The writing speed is only a (very) little slower, while the
read-speed can be a bit better.
2.) more speed (RAID 0)
connect 2 HDD to the card and every file is split on the two HDD. So the speed
of writing and reading is allmost doubled.
BUT if one HDD crashes everything (even the content of the other HDD) is gone.
Statistically the the danger of a HDD-crash is doubled!!
3.) with more HDD you can create variations of Combinations of 1) and 2)

Carl