"tough" Excel thing

Here’s another tough thing to do in Excel (for me at least) that perhaps someone knows how to address. I’m loading transactions (trades) into excel and I’d like to build a column of unique symbol names, and sort them. I tried the unique filter feature; but that doesn’t seem to be reliable. It allows a few duplicates. I’ve tested that at some length.

A function like this would be good (Mr. Gates) ☺.

=unique(range1, range2, sort –a).

Any suggestions how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Colin West