latest results for PC won't power down

Thanks to Jerry, Jimmy, Mike, Gerald and Doug for sending help.
The blue screen and message in item 1. is new.

1.Holding power button for 5 seconds while Win2000 running brings a blue
screen with message
"Driver-Power-State-Failure".  Then power shuts down but doesn't fix for
next time.

2.Holding the button for 5 after Win2000 shuts down kills the power but
doesn't fix for next time.

3.Control Panel/Power shows Desk/Home-Office scheme, never turn off
monitor, never turn off hd.
I think that refers to sleep mode only, not shut down.

4.The PC was originally Win98 Plus.  Six months ago put in a new, Intel
mobo.  Two weeks ago
an IBM 40gig hd and Win2000 Pro o/s.  All was well until yesterday.

Thanks again for your help.  Please send other suggestions if something
comes to mind.

Lee

**Prior message****************