some statistics questions

Hello Everyone,

My old statistics textbook was written just before pocket calculators came
out.  I would appreciate your insights and opinions on these few questions:

1. Some gurus say a time/price series of market data is a normal PDF and
others say it is not.
Which is it? (maybe yes when range bound and no when trending?)

2. Are the different correlation formulas each intended to be better for
their specific uses? (or one size pretty much fits all?)

3. Textbook says Z-Score indicates how far (and the direction) an item
deviates from it's distribution's mean.
TS2ki  describes the Z-Test Function as "P-value of a Z-test for a
specified bar ".

So to use the Z-Test Function I have to first calculate a raw z-score, or
range, or some other statistic and then the Z-Test Function will tell me
the probability of a more extreme event occurring than the one I tested?

4. If a dominant cycle period really is dominant, why does the value change
with every bar?

Thank you for your help.  Regards to all.

Lee Goldberg