measuring beta

I've got some very different beta numbers and I'd appreciate comments
from anyone who may throw more light on the issue. When I look up the
beta of any stock 3 different sites, I get different answers. For
example:

NASDAQ says the beta of AGN is .66
Yahoo says its .45
Multex says its .43

The urls for these lookups are below.

I've always understood the conventional calculation is to measure of 252
days. That is, beta is over a trading year. Someone else says it's over
5 years. Interestingly no one says its an EM measure, which would
probably be more accurate for short-term trading.

Hope to hear from others.

Colin West

http://quotes.nasdaq.com/asp/summaryquote.asp?mode=&kind=&symbol=HAL&sym
bol=AGN&symbol=XLNX&symbol=GTK&symbol=LSTR&symbol=TBL&symbol=FAST&symbol
=ADTN&symbol=JCOM&symbol=&FormType=&mkttype=&pathname=&page=summaryquote
&selected=AGN

http://finance.yahoo.com/lir?query=beta+AGN

http://www.multexinvestor.com/StockOverview.aspx?country=US&ticker=AGN&c
oname=ALLERGAN%2c+INC.&mxid=100043150%2c100083571&target=%2f%2fquickinfo
%2fstockoverview&cotype=0&page=default