RE: TS alternatives, and more about scaling strategies

Bob,

<stuff about omega-list deleted>

Like you, I've developed my own software. There is no substitute for
handcrafted software, because you know if you don't like something you
can change it.

About a year and a half ago, I traded a system based upon "scaling" as
you call it. In fact, it is very much the same as you describe below.
Entries/exits are based upon wilder's SAR plus some extra things like
the necessary stop loss, lock, etc. While the system was profitable, I
eventually had to drop it. I could not trade it, and I suspect very few
can.

Balls of steel and a stomach made of concrete are a minimum requirement.
You never sleep: since you have *many* losers, each trade you engage
will give you the feeling it will not work. And if it does work the
stakes quickly get higher and higher. That glorious feeling will exhaust
you, because when you've scaled up a couple of times your profits will
be skyrocketing. At the same time scare you because you know you will
give a lot of the profits back to the market.

Plus: you need a lot of capital to trade such a system effectively. That
might not be a concern for everyone, but for me it did.

To me, the idea behind the system is what makes it beautiful. You see,
it doesn't really rely on entry techniques. You can just as easily pick
something else without changing the performance of the system that much.
Instead, the real key is to keep your risk linear while allowing your
profits to grow exponentially. The only premisse for it to work is that
there are trends in the market.

Mark.

http://www.powertesting.com bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 847-982-1910