Re: Band-its...?

Gary Fritz wrote:
>The only way I know of to get results like that is to curve-fit
>to the entire data series.  That is, each point is calculated
>with full knowledge of past AND future points.  A polynomial fit,
>as Audrey mentioned, is one possibility.

Looks that way to me too, come to think of it.

>Of course, you couldn't use that to trade, since you have no
>knowledge of future data points (bummer!).  If that's what those
>charts really are, then they're just dummied-up pretty sales
>tools that couldn't actually be used for trading.

Not necessarily.  You don't need future points to fit a polynomial
to data.  Furthermore, you don't need a polynomial with many degrees
of freedom either, if you're concerned with seasonal tendencies as
seems to be the case here.  A 3rd or 5th degree polynomial should be
sufficient for getting trends on a year's worth of data.  Simply fit
it to 250 days (approx 1 year) and re-fit on every new bar, plotting
only the most current endpoint of the polynomial.  This is no more
valid or invalid than using a SMA or EMA or linear regression
projection to identify a trend.

>he couldn't be using a polynomial-fit curve for his trading
>decisions.

I think he could in this context.  Think of it this way: for markets
with seasonal tendencies, the tendencies average out to a sinewave
having a period of 1 year.  A sinewave for a single period can be
well-approximated by a polynomial.

--
 //  \
 // __)    Unicorn Research Corporation -- http://unicorn.us.com