h/d whirrrr on bootup

This whirrr has happened occasionally on bootup. So I've rebooted until a
time it doesn't happen. Last time, though, it took half dozen attempts.

Now somewhat concerned to turn it off until ready to replace the h/d in case
it will not restart.

However, if Windows splash screen was up, could it be that the h/d is ok and
I have misread the source, which could have been the fan ? I wasn't fast
enough to think to stick a pencil into the fan!

Has anyone experience of what is maybe the quietest h/d drive & or model
available ?  (my other machine collects live broadcast data that seems to
come in bursts, to which my nervous system hasn't really tuned into
comfortably).

Also, with regards The Bat, could anyone say whether or or not .gif images
(I often send received pictures of charts etc) can be sent within the email
? And if I copy the lookout exp. email    /windows/applications/identies
folder, then can The Bat import from the backup, directory copy. Or does The
Bat require lookout exp. email to be "exported" before it can be imported?

Thanks
Jon