Re: Why not exit? - EL question

>Hello, All -
>
>EL help, please...
>
>I'm trying to code exits that "scale" out of multicontract positions.  It
>appears that my exit statement is only executed once, and not multiple times
>as I believe I have coded it to do.  I've added print statements to see if
>the code path is being used, and it is.  The diagnostic print text is
>displayed, but the exit statement does not appear to execute.
>
>Looks like:
>---------------------
>If MP=1 and close > ProfitTarget then begin
>        ExitLong CurrentContracts/2 total at Market;
>        Print(date," ",getsymbolname," exit half of the contracts right now!");
>End;
>---------------------
>
>ProfitTarget is reset to a higher level after each partial exit.
>
>The print statement is executed multiple times as the progressive targets
>are set and reached, yet the "exitlong" command appears to not be
>executed...  I need clue.
>
>I've implemented of EL that uses multiple different exits for different
>reasons, but not the "same" exit like this.
>
>Any ideas would be helpful.
>
>Regards,
>Rob Hartman

You have run up against one of TS's problems. I remember wrestling with this one a long time ago.

Once an order has been used for scaling out of a position, it is used up and no longer available. It will not trigger again within the same trade. Hmph!

You'll have to figure out a way of executing any remaining exit orders as a separate orders, even though they will be doing exactly the same thing.

It's very strange that there isn't a provision to allow you to scale out, similar to the way you can control pyramiding in, but that's the way it is for now.

Regards,
Mike Gossland