Re: Roll over methods

Trey:

Welcome to the mystery of rolling.
Even if you use the SAME vendor and use the same raw contracts to
base your rolls on, different roll methods supported by the same
vendor will produce huge differences in results.  Then, to make
it worse, the SAME vendor, SAME roll method, and SAME software
can also produce major differences if the data is run on two
separate computers.

Confused?
When I tested the same vendor, same rolling method, same
settings, but different computers produced over 3,000 dollars
worth of spread in the Heating Oil contact between 1990 to
present.  Now imagine what happens to your trading results when
the underlying data is so different!

I wrote a utility to measure and log the differences.  In fact, I
need to do some checking and revise the utility.  If desired, I
can post the updated utility tomorrow.

Your immediate problem:
If you change vendors, or rolling methods, or computers:
(1) test your data for differences using a utility;
(2) re-test your trading system ;
(3) you may need to reoptimize the trading system;
(4) you may need to redesign and revise the logic of your trading
system.

Why the retesing and re-design?
Different vendors use different definitions of Open, Close, High,
Low.  Each vendor sets their own method of rounding (or not
rounding) to nearest tick, or offers ability to be set by the
user.  A vendor may carry quotes at one half tick, one quarter
tick, or may not be able to carry one quarter ticks, etc. (For
example, CSI is unable to quote 2-year Notes in the exchange
specified format of 1/32nd and 1/4 of 1/32nd -- equal to 1/128th
.)

Net result: No system will ever perform the same with 2 different
vendor's data or rolling method.  Each combination is a unique
system.

Leslie

--
Regards,