RE: FW: Random walk

Yes I've heard all of this before. We still no definition for a proof. That
is the starting point for any scientific investigation. I don't care who
said what. Either you can define the proof or you can't.

Brent

The last paragraph of your memo clearly defined the faulty logic behind the
"random walk" hypothesis.

Just because the chart of some randomly generated numerical series may LOOK
like
a chart of stock price movement doesn't mean that they both have identical
CAUSES.  But you're right when you say we can imagine anything.  The
theorists
have.

And then they compound the problem by saying "If you believe otherwise,
prove me
wrong."  Which, again, is another faulty logic sequence, because nobody can
prove a negative.

The "theory" began in the business schools, not in the departments where
logic
is taught.  They would have laughed at the idea as one which could only been
promulgated by a freshman student from an inner city school.

One professor, with the more than appropriate initials of BM, realized that
he
could make quite a reputation for himself, and not incidentially a lot of
money
also, promoted the idea for his own benefit, but now, even he, is being
forced
to try to "adapt" his original thesis.

What I've never been able to understand is why any one who believes this is
even
remotely interested in investing their hard earned dollars.