Re: OT: importing an email attachment file into Access

On Tue, 07 Jan 2003, cwest wrote:

> I'd appreciate suggestions to automate importing data into an mdb file,
> from a csv file that's attached to an email. For example, each day I'm
> going to receive a csv file that I'd usually save after opening the
> email (to which it is attached), saving it, and then open Access to
> import/append the file.
>
> My thoughts are to write a macro in Access that imports a file, but I'm
> still thinking about getting an attachment from an email while it's
> still on the (smtp) server. I want to believe this isn't a common issue
> that's been solved with a tool that someone offers :). (At least that's
> what I want to believe).

There are unix tools mpack and munpack that will extract the attachments
in MIME format. Using munpack to get the attachment for feeding into
perl to create the format of file that mdb wants, and then finally
perl executes something to actually load the data into mdb format.

There might also be a module that handles mdb directly on the CPAN
network (www.cpan.org).

Mike