Re[4]: PushPOP now for download

On Thursday, November 15, 2001, 6:58:26 PM, caw wrote:

c> Send me a CSS file that works with native Opera, and I'd be happy
c> to use it. I can't find one and I'm not willing to spend more than
c> the few hours I have trying to write one that's totally compatible
c> with native Opera.

You might try posting one that illustrates what you want to do to the
following newsgroup: opera.general at news.opera.no

They have many good folks who have helped others to get the proper CSS
files they need.

c> www.traders2traders.com uses a little rudimentary client-side
c> scripting, but it seems to be a problem for only one Opera user
c> that I know of.

You're no doubt referring to me, from our lengthy discussions on the
subject. :-) For clarification, Opera does not have problems with
(most) scripting - our discussion was about the privacy/security
issues raised with scripting. Again, it's a P/S issue, not an Opera
issue.

c> I believe that privacy comes down to the intention of website
c> "keepers" as I call them.

Agreed - that's why I don't have a P/S issue with your site.

c> If you browse to a website, at least one port on the user's PC has
c> to be open. The NIC for example. And that implies lower level
c> machine address (MAC) or network layer(s) must also be "open." In a
c> nutshell, you're theoretically vulnerable.

True, in theory, but it might be behind a firewall with address
translation, which, in turn, is behind a proxy, and possibly other
security measures. Not very 'open' to the outside world that way. :-)

c> There isn't any privacy.

Privacy and security are different, and require different
considerations and approaches. If I want to surf privately, you will
have a hard time finding out anything about me - or at least anything
that is correct. :-) [I might feed you a lot of false info to keep
your site 'happy'.]

c> However, who wants to spend the time trying to copy or stealing
c> stuff or vandalizing someone's PC?

Ummm - maybe, for example, the people who wrote CodeRed, which created
so much havoc? Or the script kiddies. Or......

c> Granted there are people, but in he grand scheme of the Internet,
c> malice strictly in respect to browsers is miniscule. Email clients
c> are another matter, which is troubling.

One must again distinguish between security and privacy. If by
'malice' you mean security, that is not a big problem in browsing.
But, if you mean privacy, that is a rather large issue in browsing,
and will loom MUCH larger with new M$ 'features'.

Statistically, though, I agree with you. I just don't wanna be one of
those caught on the fat tail. :-)

ztrader