TS4 and Win2K, Win XP, Win98

Since we are talking about operating systems I thought I would share some
experiences I and one of my friends had with the different OSes and good old
trusty 16 bit TS4.

TS4 runs very smoothly on Win98. Of course you get the occasional blue
screen of death on Win98 and you have to restart the computer every couple
of days because the OS is a resource leaker. While on Win2K I get only very
rare OS lockups or crashes, I seem to get as many or more TS crashes. I run
the server in a separate memory space, but can't run charting in a separate
memory space (the program won't load that way for me). If I am doing
something silly in programming EasyLanguage which causes TS to crash I have
to restart the server most times anyway to get the internal variables to
reset but at least I don't have to power down the machine like in Win98.

A friend of mine tried to run TS4 on a brand new Athlon 1.3Ghz XP 256MB RAM
box but TS4 ran much slower for him and he got the blinky cursor / serial
mouse thing. It seems XP doesn't recognize the /noserialmice extension like
NT or Win2K. He even tried XP's 16 bit compatibility mode and got nowhere.
Anyway he installed Win2K and tried out TS4 and got the same results - it
was slow running TS4. So he "downgraded" to Win98 and suddenly TS4 was
running fast as lightning. Anyway, he never figured out what the cause of
the problem was, but my friend tried 2 computers (thinking the computer was
faulty) and got the same result both times. I'm not sure if I understand the
answer to this little mystery either but I thought I would post these
experiences so maybe someone could learn from them or shed some light.

Patrick White