Re: Hard sums, easy formula

In a message dated 10/26/01 4:31:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
MikeSuesserott@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< > > Hi Ian,

 > > try this:
 > >
 > > Floor(0.1*(Sqrt(5)*Sqrt(8*Acct-75)+5))
 > >
 > > Floor might be called Int in EL, I don't remember now.
 > >
 > > Best regards,
 > >
 > > Michael Suesserott >>

Hi Mike,

I'm not quite sure how I  got hooked into this thread but I did.  Perhaps it
was the  very patient way you were dealing with the guy who asked the
question! <g>  Anyway, I did get hooked.  I wound up with the value for A
(account size) being a recursive function of C:

A (for C contracts) = A (for C-1 contracts) + (C-1)*5

I then tried using your 'solution'   [ Floor(0.1*(Sqrt(5)*Sqrt(8*Acct-75)+5))
  ]    and found that for a given value of A it was NOT calculating the
proper # of contracts.  It yielded values for the # of contracts which was
consistently too large by 4 contracts.  Changing the last 5 in your formula
to a 1 produced the 'correct' results.  Am I all wet here or is my analysis
correct?

My efforts to find a way to calculate the # of contracts to be used for a
given value of A (account size) couldn't get any further than  finding the
recursive relationship I noted above.  So I AM curious  how you derived the
formula you came up with.  Is there something I should know about the
properties of recursive formulae that has escaped me?

Regards,

Lee Scharpen