RE: Hardware: value of turbo express port

Most computers today still include 16550 UART for serial ports.
16550 UART has been in use for several years and supports up to 115K
BAUD, and typically includes very small serial I/O buffer.   You could
check your new motherboard specifications and look for UART, under the
I/O section.

As I recall Turbo cards include either a 16750 or a 16850 UART.
These cards are mandatory for faster then 115K BAUD on your serial
port, and additionally provides a significantly larger serial I/O
buffer than 16550 UART.   The bigger serial buffer is useful if you
have over-flow errors with the standard 16550 UART.