Re: Defending the Fire Department

William,

I do have strong feelings about this, but I sincerely
don't understand where I have clouded the issue.

I am a firefighter on a ladder company in the Seattle
Fire Department. You obviously have a good
understanding of building construction. With the
exception of your statement that I have clouded the
issue, I agree with everything you said.

My previous response was simply to refute the
allegation that the F.D.N.Y. "screwed up royally".
This kind of armchair quarterbacking by sedentary
individuals who have never fought fire really
irritates me.

The FD's job is to take a situation that is out of
control and somehow make it better. Given the insane
circumstances on Sept 11, I think the FDNY did the
best job it could. They deserve accolades, not
condemnation.

-Lance

--- William Brower <1000mileman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Clearly you have strong feelings on this issue but
> you have let them cloud
> the issue.  The Fire Department has no
> responsibility for the design
> characteristics of buildings, some of which include
> the materials used, the
> fire resistance ratings of the structural members
> and the structural
> behavior under various conditions (fire, wind load,
> vibration, settlement,
> shear, racking).  The design requirements for such
> structures are firmly
> embedded in specifications set forth by various
> design and testing firms
> and adopted by local government agencies.  Design
> engineering firms use
> these guidelines for producing the building plans
> and specifications.  City
> building inspectors are charged with enforcement of
> the building code.  The
> Fire Department is eventually charged with the
> responsibility of
> controlling fires and saving lives.
>
> The fireproofing used on the steel in the WTC was
> most likely blown
> completely off some of the structural members.
> Fireproofing comes in many
> forms but to build a skyscraper, the accepted form
> is called spray-on
> fireproofing.  It is a mixture of cementious
> material mixed with fire
> retardant.  It is soft and can be scratched easily
> with your finger.  It is
> very likely that portions of that material were
> dislodged during the impact
> of the plane and then the fire weakened the steel
> which led to the
> collapse.  Interior structural members, known as the
> core of the structure,
> are often the most critical to the stability of the
> structure.  That is
> often where the diagonal bracing is located.  The
> core is usually
> fireproofed with cement masonry units (CMU), better
> known as concrete
> blocks.  These walls were also likely to have been
> knocked down at the time
> of the impact.  The underlying core steel members
> would then be totally
> exposed.  The collapse would then be unavoidable.
>
> OK, so how do we build buildings to prevent this
> type of disaster.  Very
> simple, you define the type of blast and fire you
> anticipate and then build
> the structure to meet these requirements.  Based on
> what we have seen so
> far, the sky scraper of the future would probably
> have 110 stories with 20
> feet of reinforced concrete exterior walls with no
> windows.  No matter what
> you build, the terrorist has the ability to choose a
> weapon to attack the
> structure you build.  It is not a game you can ever
> win by redesigning the
> buildings.  You need to prevent the attack in the
> first place.
>
> At 10:04 AM 9/22/01 -0700, you wrote:
> >Hello Omega list,

> [...]
=== message truncated ===