Re: Virus emanation handled quickly by Mark Brown

Hello  Roy,

RJ> to me yesterday that were in response to messages that I had responded to over
RJ> 2 years ago. Both were in infected with some worm virus.

let  me apologize for the emails that were sent out yesterday infected
with  a  virus.   the  reason the emails were two years old is that, i
have  an  old win 98 machine that i installed on my network so i could
dig  around on the hard drive for some files i thought i needed.  that
machine has microsoft's mail program outlook on it.

while  i  was  on  the  network  i opened a web browser to a site that
informed  me  i needed to upgrade.  so after i checked the browser was
kinda  old and so i did upgrade from microsoft's web site.  it was the
version  5.5  ie explorer.  after the upgrade it had to reboot when it
re booted the hard drive started churning.  then the outgoing mail box
popped up for outlook.  i immediately ran around and unplugged the box
from the network.

i checked and it send about 50 emails, 30 of those were returned to my
mail  server  (which  i  run my own) that is on another machine on the
network.   i  have non conclusions other than i got the virus from the
microsoft  5.5  and  or  web security upgraded package(s) i downloaded
from them.  the virus was born when i re booted the machine.

since  i  have gone in the registry and eliminated all outlook entries
completely.    it  will  send  no  more mail period, and for those who
slipped thru i apologize.

to   anyone   i   would   recommend   "the   bat"   email  client  at
http://www.ritlabs.com .it's a great mail program and not susceptible
to  all  these  viruses.   i  can not understand what the deal is with
microsoft  in  there  quest  to  integrate  web  services  into  their
operating  systems, they have opened up control of the os to hackers.

ps i think we can see 700 on the sp and maybe mid 400's where it all
began.

--

Have a Great Day, Mark

http://www.markbrown.com