Re: Re[2]: THE ANSWER

  • To: Jim Johnson <jejohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Re[2]: THE ANSWER
  • From: "Gary Fritz" <fritz@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 15:59:14 -0700

> So far Christian mysticism isn't at that level now.  If Christian
> fanatics were were bombing schools or whatever in UK, for example,
> I would support our government in weakening them to the point that
> were no longer a threat.

Um, maybe you intended that as irony, but Christian fanatics ARE
bombing schools or whatever in the UK.

http://www.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/europe/09/05/belfast.violence.1744/index.html

> I'm open to hear any approach and incorporate it into my views.
> What are you thinking we should do?

I have no idea.  There is no simple answer to this mess.  Even if by
some miracle we were able to ferret out and execute each and every
terrorist and terrorist supporter, it would not stop.  We would just
launch a whole new army of terrorists bent on destroying us for
killing their fathers, brothers, etc.  Cut off the hydra's head and
seven more grow in its place.  You can't bully these people into
submission -- bullying just reinforces their beliefs and their
resolve.

Forcing nations to hand over terrorists and stop supporting
terrorists seems like one of the few approaches that could actually
do some good.  But of course that just casts the U.S. (and whoever
else cooperates with the effort) as imperialist thugs, and launches
yet another army of terrorists.

I think terrorism will not stop until the extremists get their way
(which, thankfully, is unlikely, and in any case it would just launch
a new army of terrorists fighting the extremists) or until all
extremists decide to use less violent means to achieve their goals
(also unlikely).  Changes in U.S. policy might ameliorate the
situation slightly, but I wouldn't count on it.

It's a disaster, and I don't know how you can resolve it.
Gary