Re[3]: The Usual Suspects

Hello ztrader,

What I propose that many of these counties do all countries do to some
extent, formally or otherwise.  Societies by their nature encourage
certain values and discourage/expunge others.   I don't care what any
group or person says--but some have crossed the albeit unclear line.

And yes, I think we will have to help define what is unseemly.  If we
do that poorly, we will fail.  It will certainly be imperfect;
innocents will probably get nicked--jsut like the guys who got falsely
busted at JFK yesterday.

But unless we suppress this force in thw world, they dictate the
terms.  That's not OK with me.

so what do you suggest?

z> On Friday, September 14, 2001, 11:00:30 AM, Jim Johnson wrote:

JJ>> In my opinion analogous groups ;exist in US--white supremecists,
JJ>> KKK, SDS, abortion clinic bombers, etc.

z> Most thoughtful people do not like these groups, but allowing them to
z> exist is the price we pay for having a truly free country. We practice
z> what we preach.

JJ>> 1. route out the unseemly elements in their own countries, by
JJ>> whatever means they choose that works in a reasonable timeframe OR
JJ>> face severe reprisals from the US.

z> So - do we decide who these 'unseemly elements' are, and then force
z> these countries to eliminate them? If carried to the limit, this would
z> be little different from what, say, Hitler did.

z> If we truly want keep freedom, here and in other countries, we might
z> want to think about this a bit. A truly free society must allow
z> expression of unpopular opinions, but not to the point of randomly
z> killing others. As always, though, it is difficult to draw a sharp,
z> precise line between good and bad.

z> ztrader

--
Best regards,