Pair Trading system

  • To: <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Pair Trading system
  • From: "Gary Pearson (GNk)" <gnpi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 00:36:46 -0700

Can you optimize two securities with one trading system giving the results
on both securities.
We do pairs trading, in other words, go long and short of two securities
simultaneously. A strategy in Tradestation should therefore identify a
buy/sell signal (that part is no problem), but then issue a buy signal for
security and a simultaneous sell signal for security B - something I have
been unable to figure out. I use a two - symbol chart (insert a second
symbol into a chart. Easy Language references both easily in doing any
calculation, but can seemingly only issue a signal on the first one. The
reserved word: [This Bar] refers to the first security only and on the
trading test it appears as such. Is there ANY way I can convince the program
to trade both securities?

Here is the code for a simple pairs trading strategy:

Input:  Input1(close of data1),
     Input2(close of data2),
  Length(30),
  SD(1);

Var: Filter(0),  {  Filtered version of ratio }
  StdErr(0),  {  Standard error magnitude }
  BBTop(0),  {  Top band }
  BBBot(0),  {  Bottom band }
  ratio(1);

{  Calc Ratio of security A to security B  }
ratio = Input1/Input2;

{  Calc filter (simple moving average at this point }
Filter = Average(ratio,Length);

{  Define one standard error }
StdErr = StdDev(ratio, Length);

{  Define error bands }
BBTop = Filter + SD*Stderr;
BBBot = Filter - SD*StdErr;

{ signal for upper band breakout }
If Ratio Crosses Above BBTop Then Buy ("MAC") This Bar on Close;

The last line issues the BUY signal, but it implies a buy on Input1 only

Any help
Gary