Re: A question on how to compare buying signals

You might try this. I use EOD data only so all references are daily.

For each day, calculate future 1, 3, 5, 10, x day returns. Average these. These are your "naive" returns; ie over a given time period, you expect these returns w/o any signal. Note that you'll have to calc log returns so the averages come out properly.

For each signal day, calculate the future 1, 3, 5, 10, x day returns. Average these. Compare these returns to the "naive" returns. If significantly different (better), you can say with some degree of certainty that your signals have some degree of predictive ability. You might find that your signal returns are significantly better over a particular time span (eg 1-5 days). You can then tailor an exit signal accordingly.

This has been described in Colby and Meyers' book "The Encyclopedia of Technical Market Indicators", 1988

Best Regards,
Bill