Re: SirCam

Raymond Fontaine <grandad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>Sorry; my virus checker deleted it.  I have no way of knowing (Don't
>know as I'd feel safe looking at it anyway).  Are you keeping a
>reference file on it?
>
>--- Rundy Bradley <rundy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>What is the date of the Sircam virus attached post in the Omega list?

Just so everyone's clear: the "virus" (really a worm, for those who
care about the distinction) was not sent through the omega list;
it was sent directly from "Commodity Shop" <futures@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
who is not a member of this list (at least not under that name)
and so would be unable to post under any circumstances.

If "Commodity Shop" had been a member and had posted the note Raymond
forwarded to the list in his warning, the list's filters would have
trapped it, as they did Raymond's note.  The "payload" in this case
was a URL pointing to where the victim was apparently supposed to
pick up the worm.  I removed the URL from Raymond's post before
passing his warning on to the list.

--
jimo@xxxxxxxxxx
maintainer of the omega list