From: Max Pierson [mailto:maxpi_44@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2001 12:02 PM
To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: No more 2000i in the US and NeoTicker

I just got my copy of TS2Ki Platinum a few weeks ago,
really glad I did not pay retail, bought it used from
a friend. Yes I don't get "customer no-service" and so
far I have not needed it. The charting is so hokey and
hard to use compared to qcharts, the backtesting can't
seem to be done over a long period of time if your
system uses daily and intraday bars [in fairness this
may be something I don't understand how to do or a
problem with using ASCII data], can backtest and
optimize only one issue at a time, and my computer
never locked up before installing it but it now does,
frequently. For what I paid for it, it is fine, just a
giant stock trading tutorial, it will carry me forward
to the next goal of having the radarscreen that will
alert me when a trade is indicated and basically since
my recent switch from using free websites to develope
trading systems, to TS2Ki I have been on "fast
forward" as far as system performance and knowledge.
Worth every penny but not going to be my last software
at all.

As far as somebody else developing software that does
what I need it to do, [test multiple systems over
large folios of issues, run fast enough to watch a
large number of issues] and lots of other stuff,
forget it. I got the VB tutorial from Microsoft last
December and had an Excel spreadsheet that was
watching hundreds of issues and updating in realtime
by March and I'm not a programmer or educated at all,
just played with Basic in the old days. That was after
trying two data provision routes that did not work
well and crashed my software all of the time too, and
just a part time endeavor at that. VBA only runs a
little slower than C++ and Excel will do anything and
everything you can think of. If you can flowchart it
you can write it. I really recommend that route after
seeing how weak TS2Ki is, my object of worship, wizard
of oz, etc. It's just plain hokey. It figures, look at
the stock price on TRAD, it indicates a
not-first-rate-outfit doesn't it?

My recommendation to anybody that wants to develope a
backtester and radarscreen is that they build it on
quote.com's data (very easy to manage, you can pull it
from their server anytime, well most of the time, and
in whatever bar format you want, no need to have ANY
data on your own machine at all), and quote.com's
chart program which is basically really nice, add a
GUI (something that my own program will probably never
have), make it backtest multiple systems over multiple
folios, produce the results right in the spreadsheet
for sorting, etc. That would not, in all actuality, be
a formidable task for a programmer that was organized.
If it then was as easy to program as EasyLanguage (I
don't know how that would be done exactly) and cost
less than $1000 you could sell a lot of copies I would
guess. It would be very easy to expand too, rewriting
VBA code is pretty simple and VBA seems to run really
well, I had no particularly difficult problems with it
in 3 months of programming.

Just my 2 cents worth, hope nobody got shortchanged.

Max