Re: Dynamic Trader and HRV - Historical Volatility Ratio - HELP

  • To: <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Dynamic Trader and HRV - Historical Volatility Ratio - HELP
  • From: "Barry Silberman" <barry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 15:01:54 -0700

Ian,

This is the code for the indicator and function that I have:

{***************************************************************************
**
Description : This Function returns VolatilityHistorical
Calculation per Page 211 of "Dave Landry on Swing Trading"
Use only on Daily data
***}

Inputs: NumberDays(Numeric);
Variables:  Answer(0);

If DataCompression =2  Then Begin
 Answer = StdDev(log(close/close[1]),numberdays)*100*squareroot(256);
 End;

VolatilityHistorical = Answer

{***************************************

 Written by:  Barry Silberman
 50% Volatility test:   fast volatility divided by slow volatility

****************************************}

Input: Length1(6), Length2(100) ;

Value1=VolatilityHistorical(Length1);
Value2=VolatilityHistorical(Length2);

If Value2<>0 Then
 Value99=Value1/Value2;

If currentBar > AbsValue(0) then Begin
 If value99 < .5 then
     Plot1(value99, "Volatility", yellow, default, 2)
 else
  Plot1(value99, "Volatility", blue, default, 0);

 Plot2(.5, "50% line");

end;

Regards,

Barry Silberman